Adding social media/networking icons to your site is standard for blogs nowadays and important for giving your readers the ability to connect with you and share you with others. What's even more fun than just adding boring old icons (did I say that?) is adding really cute ones that match your blog design and tastes.
Many blog designers will create custom icons to go with your blog if you order their services. You can find some adorable designs on Etsy that are very affordable (like $2!) However, if you are trying to be more thrifty when you are beginning blogging you can find FREE social media icons easily by using the search terms "social media icons" on your favorite search engine. And of course, don't forget your Pinterest button...Pinterest is your friend!
Free icons from April Showers
Here is a really nice list of icons at http://www.iconarchive.com
And here's an extensive list of places to find icons at Makin' Cute Blogs
How to install icons on Blogger:
- Download the icon set you wish to use (or right click and save to your desk top)
- If there is a .zip file, "unzip" it and open the folder (create an "icon" folder for easier retrieval)
- Decide which icons you wish to use and upload to a site like Photobucket to create the HTML code
- In Blogger Design add an HTML widget
- Copy and paste the image code of the icon you have chosen using the code from PHOTOBUCKET into the new HTML widget. Not sure how to use Photobucket? We have pre-hosted icons HERE. Click HERE to learn about rearranging and resizing your sidebar icons and buttons.
- Select (highlight) the icon image and click the link to button to add the link to the "social network" associated with the icon. For example, for a Twitter icon you will link it to your twitter URL (e.g. http://www.twitter.com/BlogGuidebook links to the @BlogGuidebook account).
- Drag and drop the widget to the location you prefer.
- Click Save (very important)
- Review how everything looks and you're done! (If you need help lining up your buttons please drop us an email and we will help you!)
****EXTRA TIP: There's an easy way to add a link to your email icon.
Use the BOLDED code: mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org in the LINK field.
|CREATE LINK ICON|
ie. click on the email icon image, then click the CREATE LINK icon, and type in the mailto: plus your email address...make sense?)
Read our original post on Social Media Icons.