If you blog for pleasure (a hobby, a scrapbook, a journal etc.) then you don't have to read this post. But if you think you might ever want to turn semi-pro blogger then maybe you should.
Professional bloggers are those that blog and somehow make money, get free stuff, earn a living or are well known by others in their industry.
A lucky few have been catapulted into the limelight and bloggy success overnight...these men and women somehow hit the nail on the head on the right day and were discovered...
Sounds glorious doesn't it?
Here's a few things to think about before going pro and all that:
1. Pick a niche for your blog. Know the industry. Stay focused on your path.
2. Figure out early on what you want your image and style to be. Make sure you love it and stick with it.
3. Put a lot of thought and energy into discovering what the name of your blog should be. Remember, this is going to be who you are for a long time. Re-branding yourself is not a good idea.
4. Learn to market yourself. You are worth it.
5. Find something you can do really well to be able to market yourself and to be seen as a leader in your niche.
6. Find your voice and use it. Don't write one way and speak another. Readers will be excited to meet you and hear it from the horse's mouth. Be seen in the real world at conferences and conventions.
7. Get help from those who can do things to help you, such a programmers, graphic designers and others who are successful.
8. Listen to feedback you will get from your readers...they'll have great suggestions for your success.
9. Learn what blogging is all about. Build a blog that YOU would want to visit and read. Keep it clear, clean, beautiful, and focused on your goals.
10. Blog because you love it and not because you think it's a good way to make money. Success doesn't (usually) happen overnight. You have to have quality information, purpose driven posts, and a lot to say and that takes hours of writing and learning.
Keep blogging and have fun doing it!