HOW TO CONVINCE READERS TO LEAVE COMMENTS
True or False?
If your blog doesn't have any traffic you will not receive any comments.
This is true, of course, but some people don't see the connection between traffic and comments.
On the other hand, if no one is reading your blog then no one will leave comments either. Simply posting interesting content to your blog is not enough - you have to start marketing yourself and your blog to get readers to it.
How do I get more comments, you say?
- Write articles that reference or focus on other bloggers. You will get their attention and there's a good chance they will come to your blog and leave a comment as a result.
- Ask a question at the end of your post, this will encourage your readers to respond.
- Write about topics that stimulate conversation, such as current events (world situations, news, entertainment etc.).
- Be somewhat controversial in your writing. Voice an opinion - readers will respond in agreement or disagree with you. That is all good.
- It takes time, so wait and watch and keep blogging.
I was reading an article recently about "social proof" or the herding instinct. Have you ever noticed that when we see a few people stopping to look at something it makes us want to stop and look? Or if someone is looking up to the sky we can't help but look up too?
This is the reaction you want from your blog posting...you want comments and you want new readers to see comments and think, "Hey, I should read this and leave a comment too."
Be a good shepherd and herd those sheep to your blog. Baaaaaaa!
Also remember, if a reader has taken time to leave you a nice comment, it is common courtesy to reply to them in some form. Blogger's platform doesn't make it easy to reply, but you can still reply either by emailing directly or by "@readers' name" in the Comment box.
Keep up the great blogging!