Bloggy Help:

 photo socialmedia_zps413c1040.png  photo helpdeskbutton_zpsb16b6c42.png  photo instagram_zps73b3c07a.png  photo header_zps97df3d3e.png  photo needamakeover_zps6d19d8a9.png

Blog Speak - What it all means

(Jumble Alphabet poster found HERE.)

The way we blog is usually the way we speak, meaning phonetically. And what we write about usually needs more descriptors than exist in the English Language. BlogSpeak is the way we write on our blogs, with our own versions of spelling, sounding out words and creating new ones.

The Guidebook will occasionally publish a list of words we find interesting, unusual, and/or necessary. If you have a new word you'd like to add just send it to us with the definition.

Here are some words we should all know the meanings of, and a few to give us a giggle:


Found words on blogs:

destash - clean out all your craft supplies and make something with the excess, or give it away, sell it, toss it. (usually to make room for more stash)

junkie - a person who really loves to collect, buy, sell, etc. (almost addicted to)a certain thing, such as antiques, blogging, surfing the web etc.

orb - oil rubbed bronze, usually in spray paint.

hubs/hubbs/hubby - a shorter version of husband.

lurve - love, a strong expression of appreciation.

wv - "wv" in the comment section means "word verification." Often, comments require a word verification before they can post. And sometimes those jumbled letters actually spell something quite fitting, funny, or both. Some commenters like to include their "wv" along with their comment to share the joke. It might look something like this: wv: smilly "A silly smile." Think Balderdash of the blog world.

More found words coming soon!
Have one we should include? Send us an email!

Technical Mumbo Jumbo:

Short for ‘web log.' An easily updated website usually focused around one topic.

TrackBack: A system that lets a blogger see who has seen their original post and has written another entry about it.

Post: An entry in a blog. (A post is a single insert into a blog, and is not a blog. For example, you wouldn't say, "I just wrote a blog." You would say, "I just wrote a post.")

Permalink: A permanent, direct link to a particular blog post.

RSS: A popular feed format. RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication.

Categories/Tags/Labels: A way to organize writings/posts, added before publishing so that readers can easily navigate content.

HTML: Hyper Text Markup Language

CSS: Cascading Style Sheets are used to format the layout of web pages.

URL: Stands for "Uniform Resource Locator." A URL is the address of a specific Web site or file on the Internet. It cannot have spaces or certain other characters and uses forward slashes to denote different directories.

HT: means Hat Tip, used mostly in the web world, if you find something that another blogger has written about and you mention it also, you give the original writer a hat tip (in the footer, HT: blog you saw it on/url etc.)


  1. Very useful post! I've seen the word lurve so many times, and I thought I understood what the blogger was trying to convey, but it's good to know a definitive definition. I love the crafty definitions, too! Thanks!

  2. Whoa...there's so much more to this blogging world then I ever knew!
    Love the info!

  3. Amazingly helpful. I was surprised how much i did NOT know.


Comments are how we stay connected as bloggers. Let us know how you feel and we'll return the favor...stay calm and blog on!!! And guess what? You'll never find Word Verification on our gets kind of annoying when you can't read what WV wants you to verify right?

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.